Thursday, August 15, 2013Author: By Capt. Aaron Miller
(Last modified: 2013-08-15 08:48:09)
Source: The Blowing Rocket
Monday marks the first day back to school for kids in Watauga County.
In Blowing Rock, expect to see congestion added to our already congested Main Street, as parents, caregivers and students get back into the routine.
Please be alert for students walking to and from school.
Here are a few reminders to keep traffic flowing smoothly and safely:
• Pedestrians should only cross at corners and in designated crosswalks.
• At intersections with traffic control devices, pedestrians should wait for a green light in their direction of travel before crossing.
• Vehicles must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
• Watch for police officers directing traffic and obey their commands.
• Most importantly, pedestrians and drivers must always be alert when crossing and driving on our streets.
A hit-and-run was reported on Aug. 8. Wendy Gregory Thomas of Hudson reported that her vehicle was struck in the parking lot of Wells Fargo. The damage occurred while the vehicle was parked and unattended in the lot. Damage to the vehicle was estimated at $2,500.
There were no witnesses, and there are no suspects at this time.
On Aug. 11, officers responded to a report of vehicle down the embankment in the parking lot of Bass Lake. A 2011 BMW driven by Saranne Guy Smith of Georgia slid down the bank and struck a tree as it was leaving a parking space. There were no injuries and damage was estimated at $5,000.
Other incidents reported last week include a larceny of cash from a guest staying in the area and a trespassing complaint on Clark Street.
Copyright © 2014, The Blowing Rocket