WCS issues back-to-school reminders
On the first day, school buses will run their usual routes, lunch will be served and the afterschool program will be open to registered students. It will be a full-length school day.
Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students begin school on a staggered schedule across several days.
Parents of these students have been notified in writing of the date their child will start school.
• Class rosters for students in the K-8 schools should be posted at each school. Supply lists for students are already posted at most schools and are also available on the school website or have been mailed to students and parents.
• Student enrollment and parent consent forms will be provided as needed at school and are also available on the parent links page of the Watauga County Schools website at watauga.k12.nc.us.
• High school orientation has been underway for high school students and their parents. The next orientation is for sophomores today. Students and parents will choose to attend orientation at either 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
High school freshmen and their parents will attend orientation Friday, with the time of orientation based on the student’s last name. Freshmen students with a last name beginning with A-L and their parents will attend from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and those with a last name beginning with M-Z will attend from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. All orientations at the high school will take place in Ross Auditorium.
The complete orientation schedule for Watauga High School is posted on the school’s homepage at wataugasd.whs.schoolfusion.us.
• Student fees are $7 in kindergarten through fifth-grade and $8 for sixth- through eighth-grade. Fees will not be charged for pre-K students. General fees for high school students are $50, with additional fees depending on the student’s classes.
• Regular lunch prices will be $2.20 for pre-K through fifth-grade, $2.30 for sixth-eighth grade, $2.45 for grades 9-12, and $3.50 for adults. Breakfast is available for a regular price of $1.25 for pre-K through eighth-grade, $1.55 for grades 9-12, and $1.80 for adults. Reduced price lunches are 40 cents for eligible students in all grades. All students eligible for free or reduced price meals will receive free breakfast. Cafeteria prices and menus are available on the parent links page of the WCS website.
• Applications for free and reduced price meals will be provided to all parents on the first day of school and will be available in schools throughout the year. Applications will also be available on the parent links page of the WCS website and on request from Watauga County Schools’ Child Nutrition at (828) 264-7190.
Students must be registered for afterschool before they can attend. Parents can speed up the process by filling out and submitting the registration form online before coming to school.
The form is available by going to watauga.k12.nc.us, clicking on the first heading under “Parent links,” and then choosing the link for “Afterschool program registration.”
State licensing standards require that parents meet with afterschool personnel to receive additional policy information before the registration is officially complete. The hours for afterschool registration vary by school, and a list of the available dates and times for each school is posted on the afterschool page of the website. The WCS afterschool program serves children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
• An afterschool program for students in grades 6-8 is offered by Western Youth Network at Western Watauga Community Center and at Boone United Methodist Church. Information and registration forms for WYN’s afterschool program are available on its website at westernyouthnetwork.org, and the forms will also be available in schools on opening day.
Contact WYN at (828) 264-5174 for more information about its afterschool program.