Get Breaking News

Enter your email address to sign up.

July 31, 2014

choose text size bigger text smaller text

Originally published: 2012-11-29 08:53:54
Last modified: 2012-11-29 08:53:54

Town seeks volunteers for boards

From the Town of Blowing Rocket
Are you interested in the future of the community? Do you have some extra hours to volunteer? Would you like to serve on one of Blowing Rock’s municipal boards?

The Blowing Rock Town Council will soon consider appointments to the Planning Board, the Board of Adjustment, the Tourism Development Authority and the Alcohol Beverage Control Board.

“Each of these boards has an essential role in preserving and protecting the quality and character of our community,” town officials said.

The Planning Board conducts studies and makes recommendations to the town council on matters related to the growth and development of the town. The Planning Board reviews all requests for new subdivisions, all requests for zoning changes, requests for new commercial development, and makes recommendations to the town council on whether those requests should be approved, modified, or denied.

The town has established standards for new subdivisions and other new development through the adoption of a land use ordinance (often referred to as the zoning code).

The Planning Board reviews any proposed changes to the land use ordinance and will often initiate such changes to ensure that the regulations in the land use ordinance are current and provide the proper protection for the town and its residents.

There are nine members on the Planning Board and the board meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month.

The land use ordinance establishes regulations for the use and development of land within the community. However, sometimes a property owner, because of special characteristics on his or her property, will request a variance from the specific regulations in the land use ordinance.

The board of adjustment reviews variance requests and decides whether those requests should be approved.

The Board of Adjustment also hears appeals from any person who may disagree with any order, directive or decision made by the zoning administrator.

There are five members on the Board of Adjustment, plus three alternate members. The board meets at 7 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of each month, when cases are pending.

The Tourism Development Authority promotes, solicits, and encourages tourism in the town of Blowing Rock in accordance with adopted town plans and policies and administers the appropriation of the room occupancy tax proceeds.

This authority also studies the impact of tourism on the town and develops strategies to minimize any negative impacts of tourism on the town.

The authority shall have at least one-third of its members affiliated with lodging establishments that collect the occupancy tax and at least three-fourths of its members active in the promotion of travel and tourism in Blowing Rock.

There are five members of the Tourism Development Authority. The authority meets at 3:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday in April, May, June, July and October.

The Alcohol Beverage Control Board oversees the operation and management of the Town ABC store and employs a local ABC officer to oversee the enforcement of state of North Carolina ABC laws.

There are three members on the ABC Board and the board meets at 3  p.m. on the third Thursday of each month.

If you have an interest in serving on one of these important citizen boards, please send a letter of interest and a list of any pertinent work history or volunteer experience by Wednesday, Jan. 2, to Sharon Greene, town clerk, at P.O./ Box 47, Blowing Rock, NC 28605.

For more information and stories, see The Blowing Rocket.

ASU Sports

Local Business Marketplace

Find more businesses on

Attorneys · Automotive · Health Care
Home & Garden · Hotels & Lodging Restaurants
Retail · Recreation · Real Estate & Rentals · Services

Blowing Rock My Hometown