Blowing Rock town manager resigns
Hildebran has accepted a position in Morganton, N.C., where he will be Assistant City Manager.
In his resignation letter, Hildebran expressed his gratitude to the Town’s leadership and citizens for the opportunity to serve Blowing Rock for more than a decade. “I feel blessed to have worked with so many civic-minded citizens, community leaders, staff and elected officials. The Town has an especially dedicated, loyal and caring workforce…an outstanding group of hardworking professionals,” Hildebran wrote.
Mayor JB Lawrence praised Hildebran for his years of service and wished him luck in his new position.
“All of us in Blowing Rock will miss his expertise and steady leadership. Scott is making a career move that will benefit both him and Morganton. Our loss is Morganton’s gain,” Lawrence said.
Among the many accomplishments and improvements in the Town during Hildebran’s tenure, Lawrence cited the following as most noteworthy:
· Blowing Rock was voted the “Prettiest Town in North Carolina” and named one of “America’s Prettiest Winter Towns.”
· The Town’s unassigned fund balance was increased from 29.65% to 50.73% of the General Fund, while maintaining the High Country’s lowest tax rate.
· He initiated an organization-wide, employee-driven Customer Service Excellence Program.
· He led community efforts to build a new Fire/Rescue Building, Swimming Pool Complex and two downtown parking decks, totaling $9.8 million.
· The Town upgraded regional water and sewer connections and systems, completed sidewalk extensions and began streetscape revitalization.
· He worked with Town Council and staff to develop and implement a 5-Year Capital Improvement Program.
· He directed efforts to complete a land exchange with the US Park Service that allowed the Town to acquire ownership of its water supply.
· He helped develop the Memorandum of Understanding with NCDOT regarding the widening of US 321, including improvements and amenities.
Hildebran said that he and his wife, Wendy, will maintain a second home in Blowing Rock. Lawrence said that the process of looking for Hildebran’s successor is already underway, with details to follow.